Metal downspout planter maintenance:
- Water: Right after the installation, water the plants (once per week for the first month or more if the soil in the planter seems dry). After the plants’ root systems are established, they will only need to be watered during heat waves or long periods without rain.
- Prune: Prune plants and remove dead material from your downspout planter as you would with your garden. Ensure that floatable materials do not clog the overflow device.
- Clear debris: Keep the overflow pipe free and clear of debris, checking it periodically after rainstorms.
- Check connections: Keep the downspout connected and directed to the planter.
- Planting: If you need recommendations for what to plant in your planter, view this list to see what plant species are suitable for a downspout planter. Do not plant edible food in a downspout planter. Stormwater running into the planter may carry dirt and debris not suitable for edible plants.
- Keep gutters clean: Maintain your roof gutters and downspouts to ensure that they function properly and convey stormwater to your planter.
Answer these questions to learn what stormwater tool is right for you. Then sign up for a workshop (attendance is required before installation).